Monday, October 26, 2015

Pay for Free Videos on YouTube? NOT WORTH IT!

ADVERTISEMENTS!! I hate them with a passion. I get super annoyed with popup ads, especially the YouTube 30 second ones where you can't skip after 3 seconds #relateable. Knowing this new "YouTube Red" is offering a service to remove ads is great! I would totally get it... if it were free. I feel like $9.99/month for no YouTube ads and a few exclusive videos is way too expensive, I actually wouldn't spend any money at all on it, especially YouTube is always known to be free.

According to the article, YouTube red will be posting exclusive videos from popular YouTubers such as Pewdiepie, and IIsuperwomanII, which will not be on the free version of YouTube. Its okay to me because I'll survive life without watching a few exclusive videos, since it's not like they will not post on their original channel at all. I watch plenty YouTube videos, and I use Ad blocker on Google Chrome to prevent them, but even with out it not all videos have ads. Most of the popular channels are monetized which means they put ads on their videos and the channel owners earn money for every view they get. But there are a lot more smaller channels with great content that are not partnered.



If you pay the $9.99/month fee for one year, you would be spending $119.88. You know how many pizzas you can spend with that money?! I'd rather spend watching 30 minutes of ads in a year then spend $119.88 on what is usually free videos. Ignoring the pizza joke, if you do have that money to spend, I would spend it on Netflix which is more worth it I would say. Netflix is only $7.99/month and its for unlimited amount of movies and shows on demand that aren't originally free. I'm not trying to say stop watching YouTube videos and get Netflix, I mean don't spend all that money on ad free videos that are free on YouTube. Just be patient and wait 3-30 seconds for the ad to be over. What I would be doing with that money is saving for University or College, not on free videos.

My question is where will the money go? YouTube helped many companies and YouTubers by having ads placed on videos. Companies pay YouTube to put ads on monetized videos which help companies get out there and get known, while the owners of the videos get part of the money per view. With the new YouTube red, will that mean YouTube and youtubers get the money? How will youtubers get money without placing ads? Do the youtubers that do get money will only be for the exclusive videos? If so, then that would mean YouTube will be getting a lot of the cash since there aren't that many youtube starts will be posting the exclusive videos when most of the channels on YouTube are small. What I predict is that the YouTube starts will mostly take care of their main channel which is on the free version vs the paid version. And I predict not many people will buy YouTube Red, I just see it as not worth it.


UPDATE 11/2/2015

YouTube Red is not available in Canada or any other country other than the United States. When leaving the states you are not able to save videos, or play videos in the background. The videos you did save will only be available offline for 30 days when out of the states.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6307365?hl=en&rd=1

4 comments:

  1. Nice math. I personally agree with you, the price is a little too much, and I wouldn't really pay at all to remove the ads... they do help out the youtube community, so ads aren't always that bad. 119.88 a year is pretty ridiculous. Good point with adding Netflix in there, as Netflix is cheaper and you can legit watch movies on it, which is better than just removing short ads on youtube.

    To conclude, I absolutely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you all the way. I know ads can be frustratingly long, but paying for it $9.99 just for it to skip every time? I'd rather just draw the line at enduring 30-second long ads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely hate ads just like and paying $9.99 per month just to remove them is ridiculous. Sure there are some bonus features but you're right about not needing them because it isn't like the youtuber would stop posting their original content on their channel. Nice work (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ads are extremely annoying in my opinion and it irks me for YouTube to offer a $9.99 per month to get rid of the annoying ads. Most notable, nowadays ads are even longer and the skip ad button doesnt seem to exist anymore. I know ads are supposed to earn revenue but it sacrifices the temper of millions of people.

    I absolutely agree with your opinion.

    When ads are longer than the actual video -_-

    ReplyDelete