Our neighbourhood board offered free Rogers cable for all the houses in the area, but not until September 30th 2015 they stopped it, and after that everyone has to pay for the cable themselves. My grandma was left without television for 3 days and became very upset since she was missing out and was behind on the shows. She kept nagging my parents to get the cable back and we finally did. And I know what you are thinking, "Why can't you just watch it online?" We did for a bit but my grandma does not know how to operate a computer. But she knows is how to turn on the TV, plug in the channel number, turn up and down the volume and turn off the TV again, and we can't help her all the time since we have units to do.
Not only TV shows are viewed on TV but also news and the weather channel. I find my dad watching the news with my grandma sometimes, but he mostly watches or reads articles on the computer. And the weather channel can be easily accessed by going on their website, or replaced by an app on your smart phone which is what I use.
dying.lovetoknow.com (I put the writing on the grave)
My prediction on how long television will survive for another 30 years, which is when older adults and elderly are gone (not to be mean or anything!) and us teenagers will be the new older adults. You can easily say that when you were little, all you did was watch TV, but little kids these days are given ipads and iphones for their own use (funny because I got my first phone when I was in grade 8) But who knows? Maybe Netflix and YouTube will die off and some new thing is invented, or TV becomes useful again without ads or something new gets added on to it that is better than the internet.
UPDATE! 10/27/15
I found an article that proves older adults and seniors are watching more TV than young adults, teenagers and children.
http://www.marketingcharts.com/television/are-young-people-watching-less-tv-24817/attachment/nielsen-traditional-tv-viewing-by-age-q12011-q22015-sept2015/
According to this website, proves that the weekly time spent in hours ages 50 to 65+ years old have increased since 2011 until today. When people ages 25-12 have decreased from 2011 to 2015, but people ages 35 - 48's viewing time's patterns has stayed the same throughout. And I think that people ages 34 - 12 years old's viewing time will keep decreasing and then people ages 50 to 65+ will keep increasing until those people die off (again not to be mean) but until then I think there will be barely anyone who watches TV and then soon with have to shut it down.
I also found an article that proves a lot less people in total are watching TV 2014 then in 2011.
http://time.com/3615387/tv-viewership-declining-nielsen/
UPDATE! 10/27/15
I found an article that proves older adults and seniors are watching more TV than young adults, teenagers and children.
http://www.marketingcharts.com/television/are-young-people-watching-less-tv-24817/attachment/nielsen-traditional-tv-viewing-by-age-q12011-q22015-sept2015/
According to this website, proves that the weekly time spent in hours ages 50 to 65+ years old have increased since 2011 until today. When people ages 25-12 have decreased from 2011 to 2015, but people ages 35 - 48's viewing time's patterns has stayed the same throughout. And I think that people ages 34 - 12 years old's viewing time will keep decreasing and then people ages 50 to 65+ will keep increasing until those people die off (again not to be mean) but until then I think there will be barely anyone who watches TV and then soon with have to shut it down.
I also found an article that proves a lot less people in total are watching TV 2014 then in 2011.
http://time.com/3615387/tv-viewership-declining-nielsen/

wowwowowowow so cool mindblower fantastic so sick awesome amazing fabulous and so awesome wow i can't believe the awesomeness 6 fish out of 3 bears. gg wow good job so awesome!
ReplyDeleteWow!! Amazing blog Angela :D You really proved your point that Seniors do watch more television if anything I think babies watch more but now since that Netflix has baby shows added (for example: spongebob). They no longer need television!! You are also right that some people do not know how to use technology because my grandparents as well watch television and record shows if they miss it because of work. Cable in my opinion is dying but the use of tv's are still going.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteI totally agree with your opinion on the older generation of people watch more TV then us. In my opinion TV has a a lot more things to do then just watching the news on it, like you can connect your phone to the TV and watch some of your youtube videos on a bigger quality screen. Or you can even watch Netflix using your TV and not use a tiny screen to watch your shows. Cable is definitely becoming less useful and TV shows on cable are being pirated and can be easily downloaded on torrent sites without paying any money at all.
ReplyDeleteYahh (:
Delete